PROPOSAL FOR SETTING UP THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH AT JNTUK, KAKINADA.
Health is Wealth, Prevention is the best cure. Every person want to be Healthy and not to get sick. Living Healthy is the Boon to that person but the irregular life styles makes one to get sick.
The Honorable prime minister Sri. Narendra Bhai Modiji Called for Swachh Bharath which is nothing but of Hygiene part of Health, but he left two more items in Health, they are Fitness and Nutrition( I am sending this proposal to the Honorable prime minister and the Union Health Our Honorable Chief minister Sri. Nara Chandra Babu Naidu Garu walked nearly 3000 kilometers at the age of sixty four because of his Life style and in-turn he is in perfect fitted Health. The supreme Star Cricketer Sachin Tedulkar played all his life ( 25 years) because of fitness and Nutrition.
Since a decade I am asking AP Government to commence School of Public Health and its importance in the Health of the population particularly Rural Poor who cannot afford costly corporate Health care.
Middle class person admitted into corporate Hospital by the time he/she discharges they become poor.( corporate Hospital charges are sky rocketing in India)
My Discussions with the Present AP government in the last three months scored mileage & movement and hope this great University is going to come up with the commencement of the School of Public Health. In this Regard I have invited two eminent scientists, Professor Heresh, Mary Land, USA and the second one is Professor Staderini M. Enrico from Switzerland.
These two Scientists gave presentations on two different subjects where India is not yet started. The first one is Telemedicine presentation by Professor Staderini. I attended the WHO conducted seminar as a guest Speaker to talk on Telemedicine in the Month of April, 2014. Then Chief Secretary Mr.Mahanthi and present principal secretary of Health and Family welfare Mr. L.V. Subramanyam Know about my participation in the Telemedicine conference at Geneva and they encouraged me for this conference. After I returned I gave 40 page proposal to Mr. L.V.Subramanyam, the principal secretary of Health as well discussed briefly with Dr. Kamineni Srinivas our Honorable Minister for Health and Family Welfare who is my senior contemporary/friend in the RMC. This Telemedicine project is going to be very helpful to the rural Population who are facing lack of physicians.
The second Presentation was given by Professor Ved about BIOCURIOUS PROJECT. This was appreciated by one and all that attended the presentation, more over Our Honorable former Vice Chancellor Dr. Tulasi Ram Das garu elaborated very well about this project and its uses for the food and pharmacy, as well as Bio and Nano Technology. Our Honourable former Vice Chancellor Dr. Tulasi Ram Garu assured to allot building ( 4000 sq ft.)and other needed help. But this Former Vice chancellor who failed to keep his word.
The above said two projects are under School of Public Health.
The Public Health is the great Subject to Provide the Health care with Minimum cost. This is more beneficial to the Poorer Population in the rural areas where India’s 75% of the population is living in Rural villages.
1.5 Billion ( 125 crores) Population country Like India have no full pledged School of Public Health.
On the contrary 350 million( 35 crores) populated country like USA have more than Ten Schools and continuous research work is going on.
The Public Health Foundation of India no doubt commenced with good intention but futile now. In India Manipal University just started only with two subjects, the combined state of AP had one at Hyderabad but not functioning well. The Bifurcated State of Andhra Pradesh has no school of Public Health and it is the time to commence one full pledged School of Public Health.
- To START THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH MCI PERMISSION IS NOT NECESSARY.
The School of Public Health:
The School of Public Health Focus on the following
- About preventive care( Primary, secondary and tertiary care)
The above three major components are addressed below.
As mentioned above Prevention is the best cure. In this prevention measures we have three subsections, one is Fitness, Second one is Nutrition and Balanced Diet, third one is the Hygiene(Swatch Bharath what Our prime minister is Calling for the country). Modiji is calling now but I called this the day one I returned to India .
These sub components are addressed in the academics as part of the course Curriculum.
Preventive Health care (alternately preventive medicine or prophylaxis) consists of measures taken for disease prevention, as opposed to disease treatment. Just as health encompasses a variety of physical and mental states, so do disease and disability, which are affected by environmental factors, genetic predisposition, disease agents, and lifestyle choices. Health, disease, and disability are dynamic processes which begin before individuals realize they are affected. Disease prevention relies on anticipatory actions that can be categorized as primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention.
Each year, millions of people die preventable deaths. A 2004 study showed that about half of all deaths in the United States in 2000 were due to preventable behaviors and exposures. (In India we didn’t have any statistics?, but this kind of deaths are more in India) Leading causes included cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease, unintentional injuries, diabetes, and certain infectious diseases. This same study estimates that 400,000 people die each year in the United States due to poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle. According to estimates made by the World Health Organization (WHO), about 55 million people died worldwide in 2011, two thirds of this group from non-communicable diseases, including cancer, diabetes, and chronic cardiovascular and lung diseases. This is an increase from the year 2000, during which 60% of deaths were attributed to these diseases. Preventive healthcare is especially important given the worldwide rise in prevalence of chronic diseases and deaths from these diseases.
There are many methods to prevention of disease. It is recommended that adults and children aim to visit their doctor for regular check-ups, even if they feel healthy, to perform disease screening, identify risk factors for disease, discuss tips for a healthy and balanced lifestyle, stay up to date with immunizations and boosters, and maintain a good relationship with a healthcare provider Some common disease screenings include checking for hypertension (high blood pressure), hyperglycemia (high blood sugar, a risk factor for diabetes mellitus), hypercholesterolemia (high blood cholesterol), screening for colon cancer, depression, HIV and other common types of sexually transmitted disease such as chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea, mammography (to screen for breast cancer), colorectal cancer screening, a pap test (to check for cervical cancer), and screening for osteoporosis. Genetic testing can also be performed to screen for mutations that cause genetic disorders or predisposition to certain diseases such as breast or ovarian cancer. However, these measures are not affordable for every individual and the cost effectiveness of preventive healthcare is still a topic of debate.
Cardio vascular preventive care catching up in the world ( Preventive Cardiology is the great subject in the Western world.
Academics play crucial role in the school of Public Health.
The following MPH programs should be conducted
- Bio Statistics- Not many Bio statisticians in the country(India) but each discipline in the Health care sector needs Bio Statistical analysis . I do have a Faculty position and looking for Bio statistician for teaching.
- Epidemiology: In my opinion India need more Epidemiologists to do studies in communicable and tropical diseases, without this study it is practically impossible to control the disease patron.
- Women and Child Health. This is a Must for India because of infant mortality and Maternal mortality rate. ( This is very important for India)
- Health promotion and Education : will play great role in educating the rural population and younger generation . It is the great subject where the society in general will get benefitted. The Telugu Desam Founder Sri. NTRama Rao tried to this through his then Health secretary Sri. P.L. Sanjeeva Reddy, IAS, but they failed as the State have no School of Public health.
- Food and Nutrition: The Food what you eat, what you are. The healthy food is lacking in India. Green Revolution brought unhealthy foods into the market. Genetically modified food and its impact is not studied by any Indian agency. These genetically modified foods are danger to Health.The foods are contaminated at the time of growing and after growing. Food waste is far higher in India than any country in the world. What foods are healthy and its concept is lacking in the Indian families. Food adulteration by food suppliers for quick money is the major cause of Health Hazard. Some foods are good for certain diseases, Some foods are very bad for certain conditions. Combination of foods will give excellent results for the health. These tests and studies are not taken by any institution in India.
- Global Health: As the entire world is a global village now and the travel from one part of the globe to another part is easy and as a result the disease carrying also very possible ( example Ebola Virus disease, Swine Flue, Bird Flue etc.)
- Health Behavior and Modification: This is the key subject particularly for addictions. Our Honorable Prime minister asked to write to him how to control the addictions. Addictions of Cigarette smoking, Alcohol, Illegal drugs, Dope in the Athletes, Gambling also an addiction.
- Environmental Health and its Impacts on Human Health: A great subject have no boundaries. The diseases of Air pollution, Indoor air pollution, Radon Gas, molds, Water Pollution, and solid waste hazards are few to address. To add more to this Ozone and its impact on human Health, ozone hole, Tsunami related Health Hazards, Recent HUD -HUD cyclone, Recent gas leaks from the fertilizer companies and ONGC gas leak accidents, are the major hazards to address
- Foreign sick Health related courses:
- Sports Technology and Health Sciences – what we have now at JNTUK, as MS,PG
- Environmental Occupational Health, – what we have now at JNTUK as MS PG
- Industrial Hygiene to be added to this School of Public Health. This discipline is totally lacking in India
- Tele Medicine- coming up now
- Bio Molecular Medicine, the emerging concept in the international arena.
- Thermal medicine.
- Preventive Cardiology.
- Bio Curious Health Research: Health Research is very slim in India. My aim is to produce 100 scientists in the next five years with International reputation. The Research in the Indian Universities are very poor compared to the Western countries and the USA Universities. Because of the Research and in turn invention & Innovation the USA Universities are remarkable and giving the leading role to their country where we failed in India. Technology is the Back bone to any country. Technology development and related patents will generate money to the institutions. In India we are still begging, borrowing the Technology, why? This is because the basic infra structure is lacking in Indian Health care system..
Who will Join: These above mentioned courses are very important for Health care.
The students who fail to get MD, MS seats will come and join. The degree offering is MPH, Masters in Public Health, a Two year or four semester program with 85 credit hours.
Where is the job Market: In India and mostly WHO projects need these graduates. At Present most of these jobs are taken by USA and Western graduates. African countries and Asian countries have many job opportunities provided once these MPH courses are recognized by WHO and or reputed Universities in the USA or Western countries.
The pay will be U$D 40,00 to 60,000 per year.
Apart from the above there are several opportunities for this School of Public Health to do several international projects by associating with many western institutions.
Once permitted this school of Public Health is an asset to the state and to the country..
Swachh bharat is nothing but of Hygiene where huge fund is allotted and accumulated in the central government. Once these funds are allotted to develop the Public Health this will give cost effective health care system for the entire country.
Government of India is not developing the real health for the people instead the government is promoting corporate Hospitals where 80% of Indian population can not afford. The middle class person once admitted into corporate Hospital and by the he/she discharged will become poor man.
Conclusion: School of Public Health is a Must for the new state of Andhra Pradesh and to India.
It gives abundant input for the Health of the poor people as well as cost cutting health care provider. Apart from the above the tremendous research will be commenced in this school of Public Health where India is very poor in the Health care research
Recommendations to enhance Environmental Occupational Health and safety:
The below Modifications are must to strengthen the present system in the ministry of Labor and Industry.
- Safety and Health are like Hand and Glow. Both of them will go together all the time.
- Academics in this regard will be strengthen in the state. To do this the safety persons working in the Factories must have quality training.
- At present some non degree holders are hired for the safety jobs with some certificate.
- Majority companies (except Multi National) who are hiring these certified personnel to the respective job didn’t have much Knowledge, ( Knowledge is Power).
- These above said persons have safety certificates but not Degree in the subject, So their input at the work place is (job) is slim.
- These certificates are given by agencies who are running three month, six month courses
without any strength.
- These certification courses teach one or two items ( like fire etc) and issue the certificate where the candidate obtained the certificate have several deficiencies in many areas.
- The agencies running these courses show some foreign countries name like UK, USA, and Singapore etc to attract the Candidates.
- Because of this Lack of Knowledge the industries are Facing Many accidents in the state of Andhra Pradesh and in India.
- These certification courses will be regularize by a competitive authority what is lacking in Our State perhaps in our country.
- These courses will be Regularized by the Reputed Educational Institute like University.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University is running a competitive course in the state in this subject.( PG course in EOHS).
- These above mentioned certificate courses are Ratified by the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, then only they are allowed and University approval is a must
to conduct these courses. (the organizers are showing foreign country name and doing business)
- University like Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada is teaching a two year program and competitive and challenging graduates are emerging in the Occupational safety and Health.
- When the University is conducting two years Post Graduate course How come 3 to 6 months Certificate courses are acceptable in the State? which is having Lack of Knowledge and Hands on Experience. As a Result many accidents are Occurring and Loss of Life. Certificate courses are to revamp the knowledge but not to act Like degree.( See the recent UGC Secretary letter).
- Make mandatory Health Screening for workers working in the Hazardous category industries.
- Apart from the Factories Inspectors other agency experts are also involved to do inspections which will give more strength.
- For this an Occupational Safety Health administration is the need of the Hour to our state for what I call this AP OSHA.
- This AP OSHA will act as an Independent body having experts of Various expertise in the safety and Health Subject.
- This AP OSHA Body foresees all the inspections, academics and Research work.
- This AP OSHA will work with all the departments and enhance the quality of Safety and Health in the Industry.
I request the honorable Minister for Labor to implement by establishing AP OSHA where the Multinational Companies are looking for Occupational Health and Safety Regulations for their investments in our state.
Dr. P.S. Prasad, MD, MPH, Ph. D.(USA)
Professor and Program Director
School of Health Sciences & Research
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
Kakinada-533003, A.P, India.
Phone : Office 0884-2300906,